Should People Over 60 Buy ULIPs?
ULIP plans aim to fulfil the protection and investment needs of individuals. They let you enjoy insurance coverage and also help you save up for your goals by earning market-linked returns on your savings. While you can buy the ULIP in your 30s and 40s for your financial goals, the plan might prove relevant in your 60s too, depending upon various factors. Let’s understand how.
What is ULIP?
ULIP is Unit Linked Insurance Plan wherein you get a combination of insurance and market linked investments. Each ULIP plan has a choice of funds for the policyholders to choose from according to their asset allocation and risk appetite.
ULIPs for senior citizens
Whether you start early or later in life, you may aim at creating an investment corpus for your financial goals. Hence, ULIPs may be a preferred option to consider for senior citizens as well, i.e., for individuals aged 60 years and above.
You may choose to pay the premium at once (single premium) or for a limited tenure (limited premium). Alternatively, if feasible, you may also pay the premium throughout the life insurance policy tenure (regular premium).
Benefits of ULIPs for senior citizens:
If you are still wondering what is ULIP and how you can plan for your financial goals even in your old age, here’s how –
1. Creation of a retirement corpus:
As your retirement might be approaching soon, you may use ULIPs to create a retirement corpus for your golden years. Since ULIPs invest in market linked securities, you may get market-linked returns associated with risk. This may help you create an adequate corpus for retirement that might help you meet your lifestyle expenses and financial goals post-retirement. You can use the ULIP calculator to estimate the corpus that you can accumulate and then save accordingly.
2. Estate planning:
A ULIP may also help you in estate planning as you may leave behind a legacy for your loved ones. The plan offers insurance coverage throughout the policy tenure. In the case of your sudden demise, your nominee(s) get a lump sum benefit that can help them meet their financial obligations.
3. Manage your investment:
ULIPs give you flexibility in choosing your investments. Here’s how –
- You can choose from a range of investment funds for allocating the premium as per your risk appetite.
- Some plans also offer an automated investment strategy that invests your premium based on predefined investment objectives.
- You can choose to invest additional premiums through top-ups with additional sum assured subject to conditions stated in the policy.
- You can switch between the chosen funds as and when required subject to the limits as per the policy. This switching helps you manage your investment depending on your changing preferences and market dynamics. Switching between funds does not attract any income tax liability.
- The premium redirection feature allows you to redirect the premium towards another fund subject to policy terms & conditions.
- These facilities help you manage, control, and customise your investment as per your investment strategy.
4. The facility of withdrawals in emergencies:
ULIPs allow partial withdrawals after the first five years of the policy subject to policy terms and conditions. These tax-free* withdrawals give instant liquidity when you need funds in case of any unforeseen emergencies.
5. Tax benefits1:
Lastly, you can enjoy tax benefits with the ULIP plan, subject to the provisions stated and amendments made from time to time in the Income Tax Act 1961, which helps you lessen your tax liability and create a tax-efficient retirement corpus.
- Firstly, the ULIP premiums are allowed as a deduction from your taxable income. You can claim a deduction up to Rs.1.5 lakhs under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961 for up to 10% of the sum assured.
- If you switch the investment funds, no tax is levied on such switching from equity to debt or vice versa.
- Partial withdrawals also qualify as tax-free* withdrawals.
- The death benefit is always tax-free.
- The maturity benefit is also tax-free* if the aggregate annual premium is less than or equal to Rs.2.5 lakhs in a financial year and you are buying the ULIP on or after 1st February 2021.
So, even though you might have fulfilled most of your financial goals in your 60s, a ULIP may still prove relevant because of the various uses that you can put it to. So, use the ULIP calculator and plan an adequate retirement corpus. Choose a suitable ULIP and enjoy your golden years in financial independence.
7 Reasons Why You Should Consider Investing in ULIPs
If you’re interested in long-term wealth creation, investing your money in
How To Invest Money With ULIPs
Over the years, unit linked insurance plans (ULIPs) have evolved as one of the
How ULIP Helps You Save Tax
When choosing an investment option, it is important to consider its tax
Know How ULIP Fund Switching Works
Unit Linked Insurance Plans (ULIPs) come with the dynamic option of Fund
How To Take Advantage Of ULIP Plans in 2022
Investment is an essential requirement owing to the enormous benefits it offers