The cricketing world is gaga about R Ashwin’s exploits. Most successful off spinner, on a record-breaking spree, budding allrounder, etc. But there are concerns staring at Ashwin and he must tackle them with alacrity. And these are the concerns that are challenging all individuals at some level.
What can go wrong for Ashwin
- He is at his peak – plainly speaking – the only way is down because to achieve this test after test, series after series will be a huge challenge. Yes, Murali and Shane Warne have achieved it, but they were outliers and more importantly were younger, which is our next point.
- Ashwin is an exceptional talent but he is 30 years old. Other greats like Murali and Warne were much younger. Even Saqlain Mushtaq another prodigious talent – pioneer of doosra, teesra achieved success at a very young age.There is very less margin for Ashwin to go wrong as far as time is concerned. The typical spinner does not play for much beyond the mid thirties. Other Indian offies like Bedi and Chandrashekhar retired by 33 and 34 years respectively.Anil Kumble and Shane Warne played for longer but they were leggies, which is a different beast, also they had no other leggie to challenge them since leg spin is a rarer form of spin bowling.Murali owes his success and longevity in large part to his ‘deformity’.
- Form is fickle, it takes one bad test or series to change the tide. Others are waiting along the sidelines to replace Ashwin.
- Ajantha Mendis, when he began his career against India made the likes of Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman struggle. Even Murali did not begin his career with the same panache.Today no one talks about him why? Because batsmen have read him over time.
What is Ashwin’s Plan B?
Ashwin needs to have a very good Plan B to counter these concerns, else he could amble away in the wilderness like many other promising bowlers like Narendra Hirwani for instance. His Test career started with a bang when, as a bespectacled 19-year-old, he took 16 wickets on his debut. He made the calypso charmers hop and dance and left them singing a different tune altogether. Nobody had imagined that this gifted cricketer from Indore would sink into oblivion so soon after such a good start. Barring the1989 home series against the Kiwis, in which he took 20 wickets at 19.50, all subsequent displays by Hirwani proved to be anti-climax.
Meet our friend Chandra, who is poised in a similar situation in his firm
Our friend Chandra, today is 50 years old and is part of the top brass, heading the IT division at his current organization. He is on a roll currently and is poised for promotions over the years so long as everything works out for him and his company.
He draws an attractive annual package, upwards of Rs 40 lakhs plus bonus. This makes him so confident about his finances that he hasn’t bothered to take any personal insurance in addition to the cover provided by his employer or set aside disciplined savings for the family. This is despite the fact that he has purchased a large property on a home loan.
What can go wrong for Chandra
- Chandra will keep growing so long as nothing goes wrong. That’s a big assumption because plenty could go wrong.
- Chandra could be the victim of a power tussle within the company. This is not uncommon in the corporate world.
- Chandra’s company could be taken over by another company. In a bid to lighten its top-heavy management it may let Chandra go.
- A younger, savvier upstart could be marked for the company’s senior position as the Board may feel that at 50 years, Chandra’s best days are behind him. Chandra is anyway scheduled to retire at 58 years as per company policy.
- Chandra could be down with a debilitating disease like a paralytic stroke or worse meet with an eventuality like a heart attack.
What is Chandra’s Plan B?
Chandra is drawing an enviable package at present. But there are concerns staring at him. Also, he has an outstanding home loan running into a couple of crores. His family is used to a particular lifestyle and to replicate it in absence of income should be his foremost priority. Chandra needs a good backup plan.
- This involves taking a term insurance plan that can provide for his family’s financial security in his absence. Term plans are relatively affordable and Chandra can aim for a life cover that is worthy of his financial standing.
- Chandra also needs to take a home loan cover for the outstanding home loan.
Life is full of uncertainties. A seemingly strong position can be reversed in a very short period of time. Individuals can never rest on their past successes. They have to think ahead constantly about the challenges facing them. They must plan for these challenges so that in case of an eventuality, they and their families are well-placed to come out strong.
In the sport of life, playing a long innings is inadvertent. Cricket and life are alike…each ball equals every minute spent on the crease, each shot equals opportunities presented in LIFE and every wicket is an obstacle. To ensure a worry free life, one must use protective gear to increase your chances of playing a longer, fulfilling innings.
Don’t let worry come knocking on your doors. Be prepared with Bajaj Allianz Life eTouch Online Term, a solution for you and your loved ones to be able to realize your dreams without any compromises, in case of an unforeseen event.
References to historical characters in the article are only for representation purposes and we are not responsible for any misrepresentation/misuse of the same. Opinions in the article are made without mala fide intention.